Happy Blog day! So we’ve taken things a bit seriously these past few weeks getting into what it means to “detox” and how you can apply some basic principles into your daily lives. By supporting your natural bodily functions, your body will detoxify itself just fine! This week, we’re going to have more fun with our blog and just give you a great meal to try (we cooked it over the weekend and it was just as delicious as it was nutritious!) This recipe serves 4 people.
- Recipe: Start by drizzling a small amount of olive or unrefined coconut oil onto a pan and put the heat on low. Chop up some green beans (about a handful per person), one large onion, and one carton of mushrooms and throw them into the pan with some garlic salt and pepper; drizzle olive oil on top. Turn the heat up to medium/high sauté for ~10min
- Benefits: In Chinese Medicine, virtually all green foods are good for supporting the liver, and green beans also serve as great antioxidants. Onions are packed with sulfur containing amino acids, which your liver will greatly appreciate. Mushrooms may not directly promote detoxification, but they help with weight management and immunity.
- Roasted Beets: You will need 2-3 large beets. Cut them into small pieces, about the size of a dice, toss them into a bowl with a tablespoon or so of olive oil, garlic salt, and pepper so they’re evenly coated. Then pour them on to a baking pan and spread them out into an even layer. Bake them on the top shelf oven your oven at 425F for 25minutes. If you like them a little crispy, broil them for a few minutes at the end.
- Salad: Add your favorite greens (spinach, kale, spring mix etc) to a large bowl and pour the beets on top, then mix in some dried cranberries, walnuts and avocado. This salad will not need dressing! However if you want to add a little more flavor, you can sprinkle it with non-fat feta cheese like we did in the picture below.
- Benefits: As we mentioned before, Beets are great for detoxification and garlic has some natural antimicrobial properties. Dark leafy greens are packed with nutrients and also support the liver. Walnuts are a great source of healthy fat and in Chinese Medicine, they are great for the brain! Avocados are also a good source of healthy fat, as well as Folic Acid.
- Recipe: Use about 1.5lb halibut filet and use a toothpick to poke holes in it. Take 1tbsp of melted butter (or olive oil) and pour it over the fish. You can any seasoning of your choice, but we found a great one from Whole Foods called “Borsari”. Top it off with a sprig of thyme and/or rosemary. Throw it in the oven (skin side down) for 17min at 350F; do not cover it!
- Benefits: Fish is a great source of lean protein, and halibut is one of our favorites because it has a host of nutrients and benefits. It is abundant in Omega-3 fatty acids, B6, B12 and Magnesium. The selenium content in it provides great support for the liver and detoxification.
Try this recipe out and let us know what you think!